A Python package for the detection and analysis of repeating and near-repeating seismicity. EQcorrscan contains an efficient, multi-parallel, matched-filter detection routine (template-matching), as well as routines to implement subspace detection, and detection based on brightness.
EQcorrscan uses Obspy bindings when reading and writing seismic data, and for handling most of the event metadata, which ensures that detections can be easily migrated between softwares. Matched-filter correlations are calculated using openCV. OpenCV is not installed alongside EQcorrscan and must be installed before using this package.
Also within this package are:
- Clustering routines for seismic data;
- Peak finding algorithm (basic);
- Automatic amplitude picker for local magnitude scale;
- Stacking routines including phase-weighted stacking based on Thurber at al. (2014);
- Brightness based template creation based on the work of Frank et al. (2014)
This package is written by the EQcorrscan developers, and is distributed under the LGPL GNU Licence, Copyright EQcorrscan developers 2017.
If you use this package in your work, please cite the following paper: Chamberlain, C. J., Hopp, C. J., Boese, C. M., Warren-Smith, E., Chambers, D., Chu, S. X., Michailos, K., Townend, J., EQcorrscan: Repeating and near-repeating earthquake detection and analysis in Python. Seismological Research Letters, 2017
- CJ Chamberlain, DR Shelly, J Townend, TA Stern (2014) Low‐frequency earthquakes reveal punctuated slow slip on the deep extent of the Alpine Fault, New Zealand, G-cubed, doi:10.1002/2014GC005436
- Thurber, C. H., Zeng, X., Thomas, A. M., & Audet, P. (2014). Phase‐Weighted Stacking Applied to Low‐Frequency Earthquakes, BSSA, doi:10.1785/0120140077.
- Frank, W. B., & Shapiro, N. M. (2014). Automatic detection of low-frequency earthquakes (LFEs) based on a beamformed network response, Geophysical Journal International, 197(2), 1215-1223, doi:10.1093/gji/ggu058.
- 1. Introduction to the EQcorrscan package
- 2. EQcorrscan installation
- 3. What’s new
- EQcorrscan tutorials
- 4. Core
- 5. Utils